The SDI Rescue Diver / FRTi Adult, And Child CPR, AED. First Aid Courses are comprised of 2 classes.
The first being the FRTI Adult, Child, Infant Emergency Care.
This course is cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), first aid, and automated external defibrillator (AED) use combined into one program. It is designed to teach the techniques to administer CPR, first aid, and utilize an AED in emergency situations involving infants, children, and adults.
This comprehensive program is appropriate for workplace training or general knowledge to be better prepared day to day. It meets all international standards, is OSHA* and ILCOR compliant, and has been accepted by the United States Coast Guard (USCG).
The CPR and AED components cover the knowledge needed to address one of the largest causes of death in the world. Intervening with this knowledge can possibly save a life. The first aid program reviews common techniques to treat serious emergencies, as well as less serious, more common issues.
The second part is the SDI Rescue Diver Course. It is designed to develop the knowledge and necessary skills to effectively perform diver rescues and assist and administer the necessary first aid in the event of an emergency. You will learn skills such as how to perform self rescues, buddy rescues, recognize and calm potential panic divers, administer proper first aid to divers that have experienced dive related injuries, conduct effective search patterns and manage accident scenes.
After the SDI Rescue Diver Course you can enroll in the SDI Master Scuba Diver Development Program or start in the professional ranks and sign up for the SDI Divemaster Course.
Who this course is for:
- Any certified open water scuba diver who wishes to expand their diver knowledge and skill set
- Any certified advanced adventure diver or advanced diver who would like to advance in dive training
- Anyone interested in becoming a dive leader
- Minimum age 18, 15 with parental consent
- Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen (O2) provider (where local law permits) certification*
- Provide proof of SDI Advanced Adventure Diver certification, or equivalent, or open water diver certification and 40 logged open water dives
* Note: CPR, first aid and oxygen provider courses may be combined with the rescue program by qualified instructors.
What you can expect to learn:
The rescue certification course is designed to develop the knowledge and necessary skills for an individual to effectively perform diver rescues and assists, and administer necessary first aid.
You will cover all of the following and more!
- Prevention and causes of diving accidents
- Stress and psychological factors
- Physical conditioning
- Surface drowning syndrome
- Diving lifesaving
- Self rescue
- Diver assists
- Surface and underwater rescues
- Types of transports
- In-water artificial respiration
- Boat and shore exit techniques
- Diver first aid
- Review of oxygen administration
- Hyperbaric injuries and management
- Information collection
- Access to a hyperbaric chamber
- Accident Management
- Access to emergency transport/assistance
- Accident reporting
- Liability and related legal considerations
Some of the in-water skills include:
- On the surface, identify and assist a properly equipped skin or scuba diver simulating:
- Breathing difficulties
- Leg cramp
- Early panic symptoms
- Locate and bring to the surface a scuba diver simulating unconsciousness to the surface from approximately 6 metres/20 feet
- Upon surfacing, transport the unconscious diver 50 metres/150 feet to shore or boat, simulating in-water rescue breathing
- Upon reaching the shore or boat, with the assistance of one aide, remove the diver from the water
What’s in it for you?
- Ability to conduct rescues for divers in distress
- Become qualified to enroll in:
- The SDI Master Diver program
- The SDI Divemaster course
SDI Rescue Diver minimum requirements:
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive emergency planning and execution
- Complete all open water requirements safely and efficiently
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Rescue Diver examination
SDI Rescue Diver / FRTI Emergency Care eLearning Only
SDI Rescue Diver / FRTI Emergency Care eLearning Only includes:
- FRTI Adult Child CPR/AED First Aid eLearning only
- SDI Rescue Diver eLearning only
- In-Water Training
- Use of Regulator Set, BCD, Wetsuit and Scuba Tanks during training
- Required personal items - Mask, Snorkel, Boots, Fins, Weights and a Rescue Signal Device
- Any equipment required for a particular specialty dive
- Admission to Scuba Diving Training Facilities
- Boat or Ramp fees
See Store for full details.